On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:02:43 -0500
"J.D. Bronson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 08:56 AM 06/28/2007, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> >On 2007/06/28 08:46, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> > > Will NEW offenders be added to /etc/tables/scanners
> > > as they are discovered and therefore not just remain in kernel?
> >
> >No, pf does not write to files.
> >How about cron(8) and pfctl(8) instead?
>
> so if it wont write to a file...I presume it blocks
> whats listed in /etc/tables/scanners permanently and then only
> blocks NEW offenders via kernel memory?
> (can someone clarify my understanding of that?
>
> I would ideally like to stop attacks and then write the offenders in a file
> so I dont loose these during a reboot...
>
> what if I cron something like this:
>
> pfctl -t scanners -T show >> /etc/tables/scanners
> pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
>
> Would that work??

The persist thing got me at first too, but the FAQ is quite clear and does not
actual say it writes anywhere.  I just assumed it for reasons beyond this
discussion.  Anyway, persist keeps it even if no rules are not using it.   The
file part is strictly for pre-populating when pf starts up.

I am not sure why you have both of those... the top line to output would be
fine, and have your pf ruleset use the file at startup to read them in.