The unarj v2.43 archiver we have for use with clamav virus scanning does
not really work. The same is true for the newer 2.65 version released
by the author. The problem is unarj is unable to extract with paths,
hence it will overwrite files and stuff won't actually be scanned.

At the moment, I've got a working port of 2.65 patched to extract with
full paths. The last problem to solve is preventing path traversal
exploits. I suspect that just searching for double dot ".." in the to
be created path string is not enough but since I've never done this
sort of thing, I'm not sure where/what to ask.

I would like to find a standardized, well tested way to test strings for
potential path traversal sequences. Searching with google has been
fruitless. If you'd be so kind as to drop kick me in the right
direction, possibly example code, it would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
JCR