My previous message was probably a bit dense, so I'll try my best to get right
to the point.

kerberos kinit was failing, giving me the error "incorrect net address"
The kdc.log file indicated that the request was coming from ::1 (the IPv6
loopback,
is that right?)

After much looking, I found that I could get it to succeed with
just one change:
I changed my /etc/hosts file, so it read only:
 10.0.1.202 auth.my.realm auth
 ::1 auth.my.realm auth
(so that 10.0.1.202 was first, instead of ::1)
kinit then succeeded

My questions are:
It works, but I'm betting it's not the 'right thing to do'
so, what is? Where else should I look?

I'm trying to understand how kinit came up with ::1,
so that maybe I can figure out the 'right way to fix it'
(I'm not a developer, but) I'm guessing since kinit needs
to get a default IP address, it first gets a hostname
(maybe gethostbyname() or something like it) and then
does some sort of lookup from hostname to address
(maybe res_query() or something like it)
I'm guessing that the hostname to address is the problem,

would this explain why changing /etc/hosts worked?

Thanks