HI,

On 17/07/07, J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Edd,

I was curious if you ever found a decent answer for your question on
secure network file systems?

Not really. I have signed up for free academic licenses of sharity
(not light), as sharity-light seemed to be sketchy on file permissions
last time i tried it. It will do for now, but in a business situation
it would be a VERY expensive solution. At least it has authentication.

Linux has some userland SSH mounting facilities, it appears we have no
equivalent.

I have looked at forwarding the NFS/NIS over a ssh tunnel (ssh -L),
but i do not see an option for mount_nfs that allows you to specify
the mountd port, so this is not possible.

I have looked into ipsec, but it seems overly complex and overkill for
my situation.

I thought that perhaps the OpenBSD developers might have been
interested in some sort of "OpenSNFS" project for example as there is
no decent solution, and they did such a great job on OpenBSD/OpenSSH.
Thanks for that guys.

Also, I noticed your work on TeXLive on ports@ and think you deserve
more than a few kudos for it. I even checked out your homepage and
porting guide (texlive_port_doc-20070623.pdf).

Great, I'm glad people are appreciating my struggle :P I wrote the
documentation so that I can remember how to do it next year when 2008
comes out. Documentation is important, I believe.

Some of the mystery may be solved by realizing we have some TeX
utilities already in the base system, in particular, texinfo(5) and
makeinfo(1) (/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/texinfo). The texi2html package/port
is somewhat redundant since makeinfo(1) is already there and it
supports HTML output. Note: there's a few problems with the XML output
of makeinfo(1) that kili@ recently resolved but at the moment, the
patches have not been committed (see bugs@ system/5518).

I see! I'll add that into the doc!

You'd have better chances of dividing by zero than getting any useful
information out of me about (Le)TeX. I've never studied it, and don't
use it, but I must say, I've always been curious about it.

Well if you wish to get started with it, drop me a private email and I
can suggest some reading materials and websites. Theres a whole lot
more to texlive than just latex (context, xetex, xmlex.. the list goes
on), but its not really suitable on the openbsd mailing lists :)

Take care and thanks

PS: Who's that on CC?

--
Best Regards