On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 09:24:06AM -0600, Bob Beck wrote:
>       I used to fight with such insanity constantly.
>
>       However since printers are frequently sold and shipped
> with a basically undocumented interface, and more than half the time
> these filter utilites are barely reverse engineered POS's I decided

well, HP itself released hpijs under a BSD license.

Epson is giving documentation and printers-on-loan to the gutenprint
project.

I'm pretty sure Cannon is giving documentation to gutenprint developers
too.

> long ago that fighting with them was counterprodocutive. easily 2/3 of
> the time (depending on your printer model) they are unreliable at
> best.

well, just because people are getting docs doesn't mean they are writing
good code :(

>       simple answer, postscript printers are cheap. find a printer that
> speaks postscript and avoid all the nonsense.  I got one (LexMark
> C510) a year and a half ago for $325 CDN that speaks postscript and
> talks to my print spooler on ethernet, and most of my printer woes
> went away.

that's what I already wrote, in not so many words ...

plus these printers are probably cheaper than cheap ink-jets in
the long run, considering ink replacement costs and the lifespan
of the printer itself.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]