On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, openbsd misc wrote:

> > misc(at)openbsd.org wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a system with openbsd 4.1 installed. Everything works fine
> (lynx
> >> / ping / ...) but I'm not able to connect to another system via ssh.
> I'm
> >> not able to connect to the system, too.
> >> The error I got:
> >>
> >> 2: Bad packet length <integer>
> >>
> >> I googled a bit, but I wasn't able to find out what exactly is wrong.
> >> Here are the informations from dmesg about the nics:
> >>
> >> sis0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0 "NS DP83815 10/100" rev 0x00, DP83816A:
> >> irq 11, address 00:02:b6:33:50:dd
> >>
> >> Btw, I'm talking about a fresh 4.1 installation, completly untouched.
> >>
> >> Has anyone an idea for me? Driver problem? Unsupported hardware? The
> >> hardware was checked twice by producer (and I don't have the problems
> >> using linux), I don't think that is a hardware defect.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>   Hagen Volpers
> >>

> > Have you tried:
> >
> > ssh -vvv host.to.connect.to
> >
> > That might give some clues.
> >
> > HTH
> > Fred
> > --
> > http://www.crowsons.com/puters/x41.htm
>
> Hello,
>
> here are the last lines:
>
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
> debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
> debug2: set_newkeys: mode 0
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
> debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
>
> followed by the error mentioned in my first mail.
>
> Does that help? Do you need more informations?
>
> Regards
>   Hagen Volpers

Try to determine where the error occurs. For example: is this a network
driver issue? To find out put another type network card into the
machine and try to use ssh over it.

Another test would be to connect to another machine (running a
different version of sshd?), to test if this is a ssh protcol problem
on the local or remote side.

Can you ssh INTO the machine?

Make notes of what works and what not, etc.  Try to be smart and rule
out possible causes, this enable you to zoom in into the real problem.

        -Otto