RW wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:51:33 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:

Also, though spamd works GREAT, it is what it is. As I mentioned above,
it will not stop spam from real mail servers, whether open relays or
spam house servers. You may get to the point where you do want to add
ports/packages). I deal with a few different domains. On some I need
more filtering, and on others I use only spamd. Don't add extra stuff
unless you find you need it. Even so, having spamd take the major brunt
will let you do additional filtering without needing a beefy server.

Well I host two domains here and spamd stops plenty of mail from real
servers or spambots that use the host's idea of an outbound MX.

I do NO content inspection whatsoever and spam into mailboxes is almost
zero.

I hate spam but my philosophy is that deleting one spam every week or
so (actually I'm getting less than one a month) is better than losing
genuine mail and hardly qualifies as a stressor.

The default blacklisting of China and Korea is OK for me as I haven't
had work in Korea since well before spamd came along.

even when running in pure greylisting mode, i get almost no spam (assuming users are not retarded and don't whitelist bad hosts). the only thing worth watching for is organizations that use their email as a short lead-time communication method. in this case people will call and say "where is my email from new client X!" and you have to either manually whitelist or tell them what they don't want to hear "well, you have to wait 25 minutes or more for their server to be whitelisted".

for domains that have multiple MX records, it might be nice to have all those IPs whitelisted when sending to that domain. maybe this is already done or there is a reason it isn't :). guess someone could publish a list of bogus IPs in their MX records...