On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 11:06:44PM -0500, Denny White spake forth:
> I have an old Belkin F6C525-SER ups attached to serial port 1.
> When "/usr/local/bin/upsdrvctl start" runs, it finds & identifies
> the ups correctly. Also, no problem when "/usr/local/sbin/upsd"
> runs. But, when "/usr/local/sbin/upsmon" runs, I get:
>
> Broadcast Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>             ((not a tty)) at whatever time run . . .
>
> communications lost to the UPS
>
> Repeat 1st line (Broadcast etc)
>
> A UPS is unavailable (can't be contacted for monitoring)
>
> ----
>
> Below are all the pertinent uncommented settings in nuts config
> files.
>

> (snippet from /etc/nut/ups.conf)
>
> I've tried entering different labels here, including the actual
> identification of the ups, F6C525-SER along with anywhere else
> it's required to match. Didn't help. I assumed this was an
> arbitrary setting & only mattered in that it has to match in
> any other config files it's used in.
>
>   [belkinups]
>       driver = belkin
>       port = /dev/tty00
>       desc = "bubbhasbox"
> ----
> (snippet from /etc/nut/upsd.conf)
>
> ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> ACL localhost 127.0.0.1
>
> ACCEPT localhost
> REJECT all
>
> # ==========================================
> MAXAGE 15
>
> ----
>
> (snippet from /etc/nut/upsd.users)
>
>       [dennyboy]
>               password  = xxxxxxxx
>               allowfrom = localhost
>               actions = SET
>               instcmds = ALL
>               upsmon master
> #
> # The matching MONITOR line in your upsmon.conf would look like this:
> #
> # MONITOR [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1 monuser pass master     (or slave)
>
> ----
>
> (snippet from /etc/nut/upsmon.conf)
>
> RUN_AS_USER nutmon    # This user added as per docs
>
> MONITOR [EMAIL PROTECTED]:5678 1 dennyboy xxxxxxxx master
>
> I've also tried this without a port after localhost. No difference.
> Still doesn't work. I may have misunderstood the docs, but there
> were instructions without a port being appended also.
>
> # ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> MINSUPPLIES 1
>
> # ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h -p +0"
>
> # ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/bin/notifyme.sh
>
> # ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> POLLFREQ 10
>
> # --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> POLLFREQALERT 10
>
> # --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> HOSTSYNC 15

> [...]

Never got an answer on this problem, but I resolved it & it's working
fine now. Apparently I didn't read enough, at least in the right place.
For the sake of anyone who runs into the same problem, got what I
needed at:

http://www.networkupstools.org/doc/2.0.1/INSTALL.html

Denny White

--

    _______  ____   ___

    [ 1987 - 2007 ]

  http://sdf.lonestar.org
 Public Access Unix System
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFGp7Vly0Ty5RZE55oRAvOQAKCivWSNF/z4EJwC+yLa5836Ney2QACZAUdf
KKE5FrTOjpURUeu1KkV0R1k=
=Yfzx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----