On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 04:16:05PM -0700, Greg Thomas wrote:

> > >add -A to show all aliases.
> >
> > Bingo - I must have missed that somehow!!
> >

> Also note this from the hostname.if man page:
> net alias 10.0.1.15 255.255.255.255
>
> Not having the /32 subnet mask may be why the alias is showing in
> ifconfig output but the primary address isn't.

The reason for this is a different one. Interface routes are all added to
the routing table. The /32 route for the alias is necessary because the
real network is already in the table. Additionally it helps choosing the
main interface address for outgoing traffic (instead of an alias) because
the network route points to the main interface address.
Interface aliases are a bit of a mess because of all these side-effects.

--
:wq Claudio