Thank you in advance for you input on this.

I have some questions pertaining to getting the new ports after an upgrade, though first perhaps this would be fitting since those managing OpenBSD's FAQ pages on the website might receive this:

1. Would it be possible to address the issue of new port tree in some more detail after system upgrade in the FAQ?

I have followed the steps provided on the site's FAQ for upgrading my system (I have 4.0 now, going to 4.1). I created a CD for the upgrade (ports excluded). I will follow the provided steps for the upgrade including the "final steps" (upgrading /etc and individual packages).

I figured that if I'll be making any possible manual upgrades on packages after the system is upgraded, I might as well "up" the ports too.

I presently have the default /usr/ports/* that comes with 4.0, I'd like to "up" that to the /usr/ports/* that comes with 4.1.

What would be a safe process in doing that?

I'm aware of individual/manual updates of packages, as with pkg_add -u (app), though am aiming for updating/upgrading the entire port tree structure (not download everything, just the tree that points me in the right direction within which the potentially new versions of apps would be available in 4.1).

I see in the site's FAQ 15.3.2, "Fetching the ports tree", basics like:

$ cd /tmp
$ ftp ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/ports.tar.gz
$ cd /usr
$ sudo tar xzf /tmp/ports.tar.gz

However, the basic warning, "Before continuing, you must read the section about NOT mixing up your OpenBSD system and ports tree." ...leads to the section talking about "crazy errors" (doesn't really help much beyond linking back onto itself).

I'm not running "-current" - I'm sticking to what is provided on the site via FTP for both 4.0 and 4.1.

Basically, can I just download the 4.1/ports.tar.gz and "tar" it into /usr (after I finish my 4.1 upgrade and /etc upgrade)? (Overwrite or remove the old port tree?)

Again, thank you in advance for your input.

Sean