* David Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-09-05 17:40]:
> >> Can any one comment on this ? Would it not be better to use some think
> >> like a Cisco layer 3 GB switch.
> > sure it is better, assuming you call "I paid $100,000 for a $5 CPU that
> > falls over at 5000pps*" better.
> >
> > *when the packets are just a tiny bit different from what cisco expects
> > and can handle in the fast path, they go to the main cpu, which is
> > incredibly slow on pretty much any cisco you can buy
> Here you are referring to slow-path processing for packets with IP
> options set. That's normal with all switches, not just Cisco's.

yep.
but basicaly everybody else has faster host CPUs - so they still
suffer, but they don't go down as badly.

> This also suggests 5000 pps is the expected performance, which is not
> the case. Spending US$100k on a switch from Cisco, Foundry, or Force10
> will get you fast-path processing in the tens of millions of pps or more
> (which AFAIK even the studliest of server hardware doesn't do today) and
> slow-path processing in the 10000s of pps or more.

no, I have fixed networks by removing >$100k cisco gear that was
falling over under way less than 5k pps.

> OTOH I fully agree that lower end boxes (and even some higher ones such
> as older Sup cards on Cat 65xxs) have relatively slow CPUs.

i have yet to see a cisco box where the host CPU is not pathetically
slow.

> The key question is whether you have slow-path traffic to begin with.

your slow-path traffic is a perfect attack vector... and some stuff
goes slow-path that you totally would not expect to.

anyway, this is not a cisco list, so no point in discussing their
design fuckups here.

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de