We just discovered that it appears the default Posix thread
stack size is 64KByte for OpenBSD (4.1). That seems a bit slim.
To compare I recall Solaris8 has got 2MByte as default.

Can I assume all C library routines in OpenBSD are tuned to be
careful with stack usage?

Is there some system parameter to tweak to increase the default
stack size. It would be nice to not force the application
into setting its stack size - it differs a lot between
different platforms, would be hard to maintain and
has an uncomfortable stoneage feeling.