On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:15:50PM -0700, Jake Conk wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I tried following that article but I got stuck at the part where you
> start partition your second drive. I created the first partition with
> 100mb and type of 4.2 BSD then when I tried to create the second
> partition on my drive as FS_RAID as the article says but it said that
> FS_RAID is an unknown type and treated my partition as unknown?
>
> To me that part of the article on how to partition my disk is totally
> unclear. All it says is make the first partition 100m for the boot
> which makes sense then it doesn't say how to partition the rest of
> your drive to setup for the RAID 1? Can someone clarify this a bit
> more please? I'm stuck.

The FS_RAID filesystem type is called (in OpenBSD disklabel for
i386) just plain RAID. Type "RAID" at the prompt for filesystem type.
(Side note: on e.g the platform sparc64 you use "4.2BSD", not "RAID")

Then go on and follow the article again. There are other articles like
that out there, I followed some other that was clearer on that point...
Nowdays I tend to improvise. I prefer to retain the whole base
installation that was used to build the raid-aware kernel (if I have
the diskpace) in case of disaster. Then one does not have to start
with a broken mirror - it can be created whole at once.

By the way, I recall rumours about some other RAID implementation coming
in OpenBSD 4.2. Does anyone know, just rumours?