For question 1:

perl should be part of the base install.

From a 4.1 box, base install, NO X, packages installed, etc.

$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i386-openbsd
[cut]

The Socket module should also be there:

$ perl -e 'use strict; use Socket; print("hello\n");'
hello

For question 2:

You will need wiser heads than mine. But I'm pretty sure the answer will be along the lines of "it depends" - there's danger getting out of bed and crossing the road ...