On 9/23/07, Darrin Chandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 03:33:03PM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:
> > At around 1:40 PM (PDT) my SMTP server started getting flooded
> > by enormous amount of connections.  The connections were for
> > seemingly random "users" @my-domain-name.
> >
> > I'm running spamdb in greylist mode, but these servers were
> > getting white-listed very quickly.
> >
> > $ /usr/sbin/spamdb | /usr/bin/grep -c ^WHITE
> > 717
>
> I've seen something *very* similar. In my case the "user" portions
> seemed random at first glance, but some were repeated a LOT. See if you
> have that, too. If so, enter those "random" addresses as SPAMTRAP
> entries. That way they're blocked for 24 hours, and will reblock
> themselves if they persist.

They seemed pretty random to me, but I did a quick
check after reading your response and I see 468 unique
"fake" email address @my-domain, only one was
duplicated twice.

This was in the span of about 1 hour, from 13:38 to 14:31
Pacific time.  After which I enabled filtering of SMTP port
'til I figure out what I am going to do.

I can't imagine entering all those address as spamtraps.

Another user suggested greytrapping in private email,
which made me reread spamd(8) a couple of times, at
least the 'GREYTRAPPING' section, which mentions
/etc/mail/spamd.alloweddomains file.  It doesn't specifically
say one could use it to enter valid email address in that
file, but a naive look at the source spamd/grey.c suggests
it could work.  I plan on giving this a try unless someone
from the list advises against it.

Is there anyway one could flush the GREY entries from
spamdb?  I had the problem where I would clear the WHITE
entries that didn't belong, but the WHITE list would grow
rapidly out of control again.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I have noticed
that a few times yesterday and once again tonight around 8PM
PDT, spamd-setup failed on ftp with "connection time out".

Thanks for all the replies.

--
"How romantic. Two lovers' first kiss shared on
 the banks of the river Seine" -- LL as CK  (ep.72 s04e06)