On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 08:46:43PM +0100, Tony Sarendal wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Tony Sarendal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/27/07, Claudio Jeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hooked up the X4100 to one of our testers and ran some basic tests just to
> get
> familiar with the tester.
>
> I put up the results of the first run of tests on
> http://www.layer17.net/openbsd-router-intro.html
>
> All opinions are welcome, please be gentle.
>
> I hope to be able to test the 1k vlan interface firewall setup later,
> I just need to baseline a bit first.

Quite interesting numbers. I guess that em(4) does still to many pci
read/write accesses and so 64byte packet storms are mostly limited by the
PCI bus access delay. My gut feeling is that the TX path is causing the
slow down (enqueing happens on a per packet basis and that is porbably not
optimal for current high speed cards).
Could you add the dmesg of the test box to the website?
Do you have any other network cards you could test? (I'm mostly interested
in bnx but sk, msk, bge and nfe could be interesting as well).

--
:wq Claudio