On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:45:30PM +0200, G?bri M?t? wrote:

> A service will gather data in a database and this data has to be signed
> and timestamped for security reasons, and the archives of these data are
> also need to signed and timestamped. The data will be used for internal
> purposes, so another internal server can issue the signs and stamps.

OK.  This service gathering the data: is it your own dedicated server or
is it an external service provider.  Assuming that you don't controll
(in a security sense) the database itself (if you did, why bother with
this?).

If I understand correclty:  Database the data-gatherer can query.  You
set up a dedicated, physically secure box and provide it with a secure
source of time (GPS?).

Assuming that you don't want the latency for them to email the box a
hash, have the box append a time stamp, sign it, and mail it back.  You
need a dedicated channel from the time server to the data-gatherer of
latency low enough to meet the time-stamp requirements.

Do you need to send the timestamp back to the data-gatherer or will they
be sending the data to you by a slower method?

You could either write a dedicated server or set up a lpd hack.

They gather the data, tarball it, take a hash and put it in an index
file (like an MD5SUM file in an ftp archive).  They send a file
containing only the hash and the unique tarball file name to the lpr on
the time server.  A dummy spool there hands the file to a 'filter' that
takes that file, extracts the md5sum, file name, appends the time, and
appends that whole line to a file.  For hard copy, each line could be
printed to dedicated dot-matrix printer as it is generated.

Or your time server is running a database and the data-gather can issue
the SQL insert query directly and the database system itself fills in a
time-stamp field.

Doug.