>On 2007/10/13 11:43, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> According to man resolv.conf this should result in /etc/hosts having
> priority
> over the DNS system. However, it simply doesn't work. Both Firefox and the
> "host" command behave as if I didn't do anything.
>
> Why doesn't it work when man resolv.conf says it should?

Works for me; but then I use "outdated" software: OpenBSD 3.8.

Are you sure your browser is asking for exactly that name, and not
some name in those domains you specified?  For those cases I simply
add the domains with a wildcard to my local DNS server, e.g.,

named.conf:
zone "doubleclick.com" {
        type master;
        file "master/doubleclick.com";
};

master/doubleclick.com:
[[usual SOA]]
ad.doubleclick.com.     IN      A       127.0.0.1
*.doubleclick.com.      IN      A       127.0.0.1