On 10/25/07, Dominik Zalewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How to enable RAID 1 and sync first disk with second one without installing
> everthing from scratch like in those howtos?

well, apart from the fact, that these howtos are a bit outdated, as usual,
they do more or less describe what to do. just skip the installation, you've
done this already.

did you read the raidctl manpage? In the examples section is a part
beginning with
"   Under certain circumstances (e.g. the additional component has not ar-
     rived, or data is being migrated off of a disk destined to become a com-
     ponent) it may be desirable to configure a RAID 1 set with only a single
     component."
this applies to you, I think. read it. the whole manpage.

Additionaly, the fifth hit on google with the search terms "OpenBSD raid"
was this:
http://www.linux.com/articles/52713

it also describes (a bit newer than the other two howtos) a raid 1 setup,
and how to transfer the system from non-raid to raid.

It is very important that you understand what you do. If you follow a howto,
and you don't know why you are doing something, read the manpages
of the tools and files involved. If you want to depend on this setup, you have
to know what you are doing. Also, if you have already some important data
on the system, do a backup now.

And good luck with your Maxtor disks, I hope you have good cooling for
them (I've seen more Maxtor (IDE, SATA) disks dead since after getting
burned multiple times from the infamous IBM deathstar series than from
all other vendors combined, and they are usually hotter than from other
vendors )

--knitti