Salut,

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:34:27AM +0200, Adliger Martinez von der
Unterschicht wrote:
> Now, a friend of mine has found a big problem:
>
> http://www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanation-ubuntu-hard-drive-wear-and-tear
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/59695
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/104535

Actually, Linux has a far worse bug in terms of hard disks, which has been
introduced in kernel version 1.3.26 or something in that order. Under some
circumstances, it overwrites the hard disk's firmware. Mostly this happens
in a state where the OS can't really function too well anymore anyway, so
you can only reboot. However, a hard disk with a bogus firmware will behave
as a brick, leaving you without a chance to fix the situation.

I have a couple of hard disks here which I use to keep paper from flying
away when I write letters, those have been Linux'd. It happens rarely, but
it does happen.

                                Tonnerre