On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:11:01AM -0400, bofh wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So if nobody makes really good hardware then there's nobody to reward
> > for it, so you end up buying bad hardware and rewarding the maker for
> > it.
>
> If given a choice, I think I like Sun's sparc hardware most of all.
> Though IBM's boxes do allow LPARs from what I understand.  And
> apparently the new power6 boxes will also run/translate x86
> software(!), or so I heard.

However, looking at what old Sun sparc stuff is on Ebay, there isn't
much that could translate into something usefull around the home.  Most
are 1U boxes; great for application servers but you can't load them up
with disk drives.  Whereas the IBM pSeries 7025 or 7026 has more room in
which to play.

As for LPARs, I don't really need them.  Unless, I suppose if they
really do provide rock-solid virtualization so I can run an OpenBSD
firewall in one LPAR and another instance of OpenBSD (or Debian,
whatever) in another LPAR for doing work or setting up a file server.

Doug.