I am having trouble using a Maxtor OneTouch external drive (an older
model 250GB drive) on a 4.1 Ipex Celeron box. I suspect that the drive
itself is the problem but I wanted to get some other opinion.

The most recent error resulted in the following output: The first part
is when I plugged the drive in, the second when the error occurred while
running an rdiff-backup process using the drive as the destination.

umass0 at uhub6 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Maxtor OneTouch, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <Maxtor, OneTouch, 0200> SCSI0 0/direct fixed
sd0: 239371MB, 239371 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sec, 490232832 sec
total

umass0: Invalid CSW: sig 0xd0d0ea80 should be 0x53425355
umass0: Invalid CSW: sig 0xd0d0ea80 should be 0x53425355
umass0: at uhub6 port 4 (addr 2) disconnected
umass0: BBB bulk-in stall clear failed, IOERROR

Any help is appreciated. Mostly when this happens the drive ends up
uncleanly mounted and fsck is needed to fix various disk errors.

The current USB controller is a VIA VT83C572 on a PCI card, but I also
had similar problems with an Intel 82801DB controller that is on the MB.

Cheers,
Craig