On 11/2/07, Jason Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's not a shortcut. It is documented, just not "supported."
>
> On 2-Nov-07, at 6:23 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
> > On 2007/11/02 18:03, Jason Murray wrote:
> >> On the 4.1 box. As I've said I've done this since 3.6 with no
> >> problems.
> >
> > If you were able to take a shortcut for the last 3 years or so,
> > take that as a bonus, but don't expect it to always work (-:
> > You were lucky those times.

This is interesting. Please, tell me where it is documented how to
source-upgrade from release to release? I've done so too, several
times in the past, but I thought ("knew") I would do a binary reinstall
if I botch the thing.

It didn't happen and after I tried binary upgrades, I don't miss trying
and sweating through a source upgrade (OK, I wasn't *that* hard).
Upgrading by source is like going from -release to -current (just
not to _current_ "-current" ;-) - you have to expect to deal with the
unforeseen.

--knitti