Hello.

I'd like to replace my FritzBox (popular german dsl modem + nat...) with an ALIX/OpenBSD installation, since I dislike the current policy locking down the firmware and really like OpenBSD (thanks to all the developers, it's a great OS!). I don't need the telephone features at all, neither analog nor VOIP. But I do have one question: is it possible to operate an modem (miniPCI or USB; it might be off-list, but: can anybody recommend one?) as an answering machine? I found the mgetty+sendfax package, has anybody some experience? Especially with an ALIX board?

Another more general question (as it might be already answerd some times, you might drop it silently): are there problems (and workarounds) with OpenBSD and ALIX boards?

Thank you all!

Manuel

Please apologize my (poor) english.