On 11/8/07, Derick Siddoway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Trying to copy a file from one filesystem to another, I kept getting
> input/output errors.  I noticed these messages in the logs:
>
> wd1a:  uncorrectable data error reading fsbn 768416 of 768384-0 (wd1 bn
> 768416; cn 762 tn 5 sn 5), retrying
> wd1a:  uncorrectable data error reading fsbn 768416 of 768384-0 (wd1 bn
> 768416; cn 762 tn 5 sn 5), retrying

> However, when I run this by hand, I get
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:$ sudo /sbin/atactl /dev/wd1 smartstatus
> No SMART threshold exceeded
>
> So clearly, the SMART stuff wasn't going to tell me about this.

> I see a number of values that exceed the preset threshholds.
> But I see the same kinds of values on the other three drives:

not all SMART thresholds define an "upper" value, some values
are a sort of "quality measurement" and go downwards. Indeed
indicate your SMART values no error. Two possibilites:

- SMART didn't catch the errors. no monitoring is perfect,
but it seems unlikely that it won't notice read errors

- there is everything OK with the disk, but something else
is not. Try a different cable, look for faulty RAM or a
dying PSU. Put the disk into another machine and look
whether you can read everything fine.

--knitti