from the "Official Google Blog"

"Posted by Reza Behforooz, Software Engineer

In my first month at Google, I complained to a friend on the Gmail
team about a couple of small things that I disliked about Gmail. I
expected him to point me to the bug database. But he told me to fix it
myself, pointing me to a document on how to bring up the Gmail
development environment on my workstation. The next day my code was
reviewed by Gmail engineers, and then I submitted it. A week later, my
change was live. I was amazed by the freedom to work across teams, the
ability to check in code to another project, the trust in engineers to
work on the right thing, and the excitement and speed of getting
things done for our users. Engineers across our offices (and across
projects) have access to the same code; I didn't have to ask for
anyone's permission to work on this."

I know, it's obvious that it's works if you share your code and let
others submit their diffs.
Just a reminder... See Google ? they shut up and code !