On 11/11/07, Daniel Ouellet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2.3 ==============
> Now using scp as many times it's can also be use for quick sync of
> changed files. Here however, we are up for a big surprise as well for
> sure. Here we can't even do it as the sparse file like in rsync example
> #1 will stop as it is to big in size, even if the data however is not.
> And we will also waist way more bandwidth trying to do it in the process
> as well. If the file was smaller in sparse size, then the copy process
> would work, however the waisted bandwidth would be present anyway making
> the point of trying to avoid the problem in the first place of
> transferring sparse files across file systems. Or at best trying to use
> something that would minimize the problem.

if I'm not completely wrong, you could always tar -czf the sparse file, scp the
archive and then tar -xzf the file in place in the other side. this should also
create a new sparse file. of course, you lose the rsyncabilty and you have to
identify your sparse file in advance. But 16GB of nothing should compress
very well  ;)

--knitti