On 11/12/07, Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Goodday,
>
> Looking to manage several webservers I am wondering if anybody uses
> something like this: http://soekris.kd85.com/images/tn/dsc03600.med.jpg ?
> (That image shows Wim's net4801-50 plus quadport lan1641 firewall box,
> giving 7 ports with low powerconsumption - on OpenBSD)
>
> The standard choice in my datacenter (linux users mostly) seems to be HP
> Procurve but I'd prefer the power of PF.
>
> I have no idea how rigid /stable/fast the Soekris machines are, I've
> never used one.
> I'm wondering if a setup as mentioned could (speedwise) compete and if
> it is a sane idea to deploy something like this in the DC.
>
> Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

If you are looking for raw networking performance, don't go for soekris.
I don't know exactly the 4801, but I use a couple of 4501 as firewalls and
IPSec-Routers for connections of up to 5 MBit/sec. Seeing the specs of
the 4801 and knowing the 4501, I wouldn't use them for more than about
40-50 Mbit/sec. There are people on this list, who have more experience
with the 4801. BUT you have to test for yourself if it fits your needs, and
your performance depends a lot on your setting.

--knitti