I have a 4.2 master system which I intend to use to quickly install new
systems.  I have rebuilt the master system with updated sources; made
the release sets; and made tarballs of /usr/src.  I installed a client
system with the sets over ftp.  All is well.

I want to eventually be able to update the client source code once in
the field so I unpacked the master tarballs.  The trouble is that when
I performed a test update of this code there was a immense amount of
downloading taking place.  This should not have been the case.

Given that I may have committed  a mistake with the creation of the
tarball is my method sound?  It seems like a typical operation.
Comments?

// juan

http://www.flickr.com/gift/