Hi all,

a few months ago I bought a Western Digital extern USB harddisk. It
worked with OpenBSD for the first x minutes, but stoped working with an
dmesg-error: Umass0 Phase Error, residue=0

reference to earlier post:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2007-08/1215.html

I think this might be caused by the SATA to USB device-part
(adapter/controller/host?) so I was thinking about buying a SATA to
USB adapter. Ofcourse I want to be sure it works.

My local computer store has this one:
http://www.conceptronic.net/site/desktopdefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=200&Cat=30&grp=3030&ar=372&Prod_ID=1696&Prod=CSATAI23U

I think most of you just would say; "it should work". However, it might
be usefull to make a dedicated webpage of not supported/problematic
hardware.

Could buying such an adapter solve my problem? Or even better: Does
someone know how te solve my initial problem?

Pieter Verberne