On 20:47:57 Nov 29, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Been there, done that. If you use plaintext protocols (ftp or so)
> over the interface, you'll see random corruption visible in the
> data (e.g. directory listings).
>
> At 133MHz there's some corruption between motherboard and card.
> Disappears at 66MHz.
>
> Normally this would be masked by TCP checksums (you'd get packet
> loss, but it would mostly be corrected rather than pass corrupt
> packets up the stack), but the em(4) does offload TCP checksum
> processing to the card, so the checksum no longer covers the
> transfer over the PCI bus, hence the wierd protocol errors.

TCP checksums or for that matter any checksum cannot catch *all* errors.

The best way to consistently reproduce that is by using our own scp(1).

Since there is a MAC computation for every packet, this will easily help
you identify the problem.

If you do a recursive transfer and play with large files, it gives you
enough headroom to track down the bug(s).

Best of luck.

-Girish