The solution has been found! The mainboard with the AMD-K6-2
had got into an undocumented multiplier which meant slightly
overclocking the processor. When keeping the 66 MHz clock setting
and producing 333 MHz processor speed instead of 400 MHz, and
where the processor was marked for 350, I ran memtest86 over
night with three and a half fully successful test rounds, and
then I was also able to successfully compile libssl in its
entirety.

Many thanks to Andy Hayward for the suggestion and the explicit
pointer to a relevant knowledge base:

> Segmentation faults during compilation is often a
> symptom of faulty memory.
>
>(Old faq on this issue available at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/)
>
>Grab a copy of memtest86+, and test the memory throughly.

M E Andersson