On 12/11/07, Daniel Ouellet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[... snipped away a lot ...]
> There is a lots that can be done, however, when you reach this level, an
> answer doesn't fit all and is really dependent on your setup.
>
> Hope this help answering your question.

It's not me having the problem, but I desire to understand it. AFAIK
HTTP keep alives have nothing to do with it. If the socket is in
CLOSE_WAIT, the TCP connection can't be reused, the server
has sent its FIN and the client its FIN/ACK, but the server doesn't
have yet sent its final ACK.
I can imagine some possibilites why this happens (some might
not be valid due to my lack of knowledge):
- the server didn't clean up its socket, so it stays there until the
process dies eventually
- the server does this to keep its socket (that I don't know: can
a socket be reused on any state?)

btw: I might be going off topic here, but I think it applies to
OpenBSDs httpd. I won't sent any further mail to this thread
you tell me to shut up.

--knitti