Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
Hello,

three weeks I set up a Subversion/Apache2 on my private
OpenBSD 4.2 to be publicly available. It was not migrated
from an earlier system. Doing this I hade cause to restart
Apache 1.3 and Apache 2.2 repeatedly until my access control
worked correctly. This disclosed a shortcoming in Apache 1.3,
which I verified anew some five minutes ago.

The standard procedure I use is

# apachectl2 configtest
# apacheclt2 restart

which works perfectly for Apache 2.2, but the counterpart

# apachectl configtest
# apachectl restart

claims to restart httpd, but in fact only kills off the previous service without starting a new one. However,

# apachectl configtest
# apachectl stop
# apachectl start

is perfectly in order. When reading the log file, it is
clear that of some unknown reason one shared module
"mod_auth_digest.so" cannot be located, although it is
present in the indicated directory and nowhere else:

Syntax error on line 224 of /conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache/modules/mod_auth_digest.so
into server: File not found

Thus "apachectl start" can locate a module that "apachectl restart" cannot find. I find the responsible
maintainer ought to look into this matter, although the
above workaround is perfectly viable and which used
until I had my service up and running as intended.

Apache is chrooted by default, making `apachectl restart' unusable for quite some time.

It should be in the archives and possibly in the FAQ.

/Alexander