Brian Hansen wrote:
Hi.

This is partly not OpenBSD related, and yet again someone pointed out that
perhaps a lot of bug could be avoided using C++. I am writting my big paper
on C and C++ and would like some comments from people who are experts.

Off-list is okay, but maybe others are interested as well.

I found this statement of Linux Torvalds about C++ online:

<snip>
C++ is a horrible language.
<snip>
Is he right?

Best regards, and forgive me if I am to much "off topic".

Better than the C++ language would be a safer version of C... no need for all C++ features. The problem is people abuse the flexibilty of C++. Or a C with safer compiler. Which has been done and is being done.. Also look into TACK (another C compiler with BSD license).

Look into google and research Limbo, Plan 9, Cyclone, Minix.. and some safer 'C' languages that are coming about. There are some hilarious biased and funny articles on my wiki about limbo/cyclone too which explain why modern 'C' is becoming more safe these days and more Wirth/modula like.

L505