Hi!

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 07:16:11PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Now, I'm sure I'm interpreting the word "remove" improperly here.  But not
>to put too fine a point on it, the inode is removed?

>Is it that link between the inod number and the file that is removed?

>In this arena I am truly ignorant, but nonetheless not blissed.

If you type rm foo and foo was the last link to the file (the underlying
inode) and there was no open file descriptor and no mapped memory
referring to the inode, either (I hope I've covered the important kinds
of references to inodes), the inode (data structure on your disk) will
be completely cleared and the inode and the data blocks will be
returned to the freelist (managed as bitmaps), on FFS. Of course also
the directory entry "foo", which maintained the link between the file
name and the inode, will be cleared. So both the links between the name
and the inode, as well as the link between the inode (the file) and the
data (the blocks containing your text, or other data) will be gone.

Kind regards,

Hannah.