On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:03:49PM -0500, Dave Sorg wrote:
> I have a 1TB hard drive in an external box. When I use USB 2.0 to write to
it,
> I eventually get read/write errors. When I use USB 1, I don't.

Then it is likely a cable issue.  Try getting a fancy USB 2.0 cable.

> I know that my drive has a reported speed of 7200 rpm, but that it is
> generally advised to only run at 5400 rpm, and I believe that this is the
> problem. My question is: how do I set it up to use USB 2.0 at 5400 rpm?

If it is a 7200 it runs at 7200.  The only time these drives slow down
is low power modes but only very few mfgs actually implement this.

I'd bet money setting the drive speed isn't your problem.  You could
send a dmesg; maybe there are some more hints in there.