Marco,

I can definitely see another angle:

RMS spoke about OpenSolaris without getting his facts straight. When his bullshit was exposed he backtracked and had the author of the article post this correction:

"[RMS added this comment later:] Since that interview I've learned that not all of OpenSolaris is free software; it is distributed with many non-free programs. I am not sure that the free parts can even run on their own. I cannot endorse OpenSolaris in its present form as a system to use."

RMS has an agenda and he has been spewing sincere misinformation for a while now to try stay in the spotlight. Check out this link for another example of RMS badmouthing a project without checking his facts first:

http://fitz.blogspot.com/2007/07/stallman-shoots-free-software-movement.html

RMS can get away with running at the mouth because when he is wrong he dodges the criticism and twists his original statements to try and squirm out of taking responsibility for them. It is exactly what he tried to do here recently, but thankfully some of the OpenBSD developers got quite vocal about it. Even so, I still wouldn't call it a decisive victory against hypocrisy, misinformation, and slimy tactics.

Given that it has been voiced on this list that RMS "makes the rounds" badmouthing projects with little to no justification, and that this isn't the first time he has done it to OpenBSD (and he is likely to come back in a year and do it again), maybe it is time that his exploitation of free software projects be chronicled in a single location on the Internet. He counts on his positive publicity to lend credence to his endorsements, so a counter balance of centrally available bad RMS pontification might cause him to do some research before opening his mail program or mouth in the future. At the very least, it may cause some journalists to actually fact check his statements before publishing them.

For example, his Wikipedia article is one sided propaganda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_stallman

Unfortunately, I do not know what central repository should be used for this purpose. If there are any Wikipedia editors on this list then they might want to update the article so that it properly reflects the criticism RMS has generated when he has spoken on subjects which he understood only poorly.

It might seem like a smear campaign, but at least it would be ACCURATE - which is more than can be said of RMS' smearing.

Breeno

Marco Peereboom wrote:
These messages somehow did not make it to misc@ so I am resending them.
My reply to RMS did make it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I basically asked RMS why he endorses Solaris which is not even remotely
free.

I encourage people to try to understand the FSF reasoning for this
endorsement.  I can't come up with anything else but a bought
endorsement.