On 22/12/2007, at 12:47 AM, kim wrote:

Could anyone offer some help with an upgrading problem with 4.2 - stable?
The source tree and ports were installed from the official CD, and
upgraded with:

Update source tree:

cd /usr/src
cvs -d [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs -q up -rOPENBSD_4_2 -Pd

Update ports tree:

cd /usr/ports
cvs -d [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvs -q up -rOPENBSD_4_2 -Pd

Rebuild the kernel:

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
/usr/sbin/config GENERIC
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
make clean && make depend && make

Reboot the kernel:

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cp /bsd /bsd.old
cp bsd /bsd
reboot

Rebuild system binaries:

rm -rf /usr/obj/*
cd /usr/src
make obj
cd /usr/src/etc && env DESTDIR=/ make distrib-dirs
cd /usr/src
make build

When rebuilding system binaries, I get this:

/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/observer.sh h
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/doc/observer.texi observer.h
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/observer.sh: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/obj/gdb (line 1333 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/obj (line 21479 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils (line 81 of
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/Makefile.bsd-wrapper).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src (line 73 of Makefile).

I have cleared the /usr/src directory and reloaded the tree from the CD,
and gone through the
whole process again, but get the same error.

Is this possibly an error from the CD or the CVS site?

Thank you

I am also seeing this problem. I am happy to change the perms to fix, however is this something that needs to be fixed at a root server?

I installed on various i386 systems, at work and home, from an official OpenBSD 4.2 CD. I have tried various mirrors, with the same errors as above.

Shane J Pearson