I use both fxp and em NICs and have great throughput.  You may want to
check the full-half duplex settings/agreements -- configured and
actual-operation -- with the pf box AND EACH adjacent device.
Disagreements can provoke a lot of re-sends.

Also, with the slower link, you may want to try implementing queuing so
that --at a minimum-- the tos lowlatency packets are prioritized over
the bulk large packet traffic. Queue is assigned on the PASS OUT
rule(s).

Something like...

---pf.conf frag---
altq on <outside> priq bandwidth 640Kb queue { Q1, Q7 }
queue Q7     priority 7
queue Q1     priority 1 priq(default)
#
#...