* Piotrek Kapczuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-01-18 17:13]:
> 2008/1/16, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > * Piotrek Kapczuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-01-16 18:59]:
> > > Hi

> > > Really ? More trivial script than something like this ?
> >
> > more trivial? who gives a f***? I said trivial enough.
>
> Sending base42.tgz over 512Kb WAN link - 12 minutes.

the soekris has 100 MBit/s.

> Extracting base42.tgz on Soekris NET4801 to flash - 16 minutes

where did you find such slow flash?
in any case, both these steps do not require attention and teh box will
continue to work just fine in the process.

> > if you add the time it takes you to bake your kernel, I am probably
> > already at the 5th beer after beeing done.
> If you add your time spent on writing,testing, modifying that script
> of yours ... well, I don't think so.

that has happened long ago. only trivial adjustments for new releases.
even doing it by hand is fast.

> > > Imagine you have a customer. This customer has 18 carp'ed firewalls.
> > > You have to upgrade them. Boxes are in 3 different towns each town
> > > 100km far from you. You have only ssh access and no remote console.
> > >
> > > How can you remotely upgrade a box ? (without using bsd.rd) How long
> > > will it take ?
> >
> > how? read the upgrade-minifaq, it is in there.
>
> I though you do it in some other way.

no, basically the upgradeXX.html way. slightly adjusted and scripted,
but still basically that way.

> > i have it scripted.
> > i manage way over a hundred openbsd machines, many remote, and the
> > "local" ones I don't touch either (i. e. i treat them like they were
> > remote).
> > it takes me about 2 minutes per reasonably fast machine.
> You look like you're really happy with that method ... well, you've
> convinced me.
> I have a few fast machines. I definitely have to give a try with
> "upgrade by scripting".
>
> I'd really love to see your scripts. How do you do it ? Could you
> please send me something off the list ? Please.

i don't really want to make that script public, since it allows one to
shoot yourself in the foot badly if you don't know what you're doing.

> > > Really, in this kind of setups I don't think bsd.rd is something evil.
> > well, I am absolutely certain it is evil in that scenario.
> Well, it saves a lot of time for me.  For that scenario - flash
> storage, slow links, slow constrained machines it's better to stay
> with it - at least for me.

i am totally convinced you're wrong.

> > > Update or upgrade ?
> > 4.1 to 4.2 is not an update?
> I've used to think:
> update -   changes within major version - following -stable
> upgrade - changes between major versions-  4.1 - 4.2

well, whatever terminology. call it upgrade if it makes you happier :)

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de