On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 10:20:50AM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a way that pkg_add -u can save packages that it
> installs into a specified directory.
>
> I think I could save a lot of bandwidth if this were possible, as I have
> several machines to update with snapshots every 2 weeks or so.

As a possibly complimentary idea to PKG_CACHE, I wrote a simple script a
while back which bulk downloads packages:

  http://tratt.net/laurie/computing/obsd/packagesbootstrap/

I use this to download packages onto a local machine before doing a pkg_add,
which helps minimise any service down time (if you're upgrading from one OS
version to another, I recommend still using PKG_PATH with an ftp server as
the second location in the path, as package dependencies can change and the
script doesn't check that sort of thing). It automatically slurps in the
output from pkg_info, so it's quite easy to use.

Laurie
--
http://tratt.net/laurie/ -- Personal
http://convergepl.org/   -- The Converge programming language