On Aug 4, 2007 Peter Fraser wrote:
I think that the problem is a bad mail program at your clients,
A user should not see the 250 status, it is not a
failure of any sort but I have seen it as a return
status sent to a user.

Here is an example that I have seen from someone who sent us
a message. The message failed and this is the status that they
received:

Reporting-MTA: dns; toq7.bellnexxia.net
Arrival-Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:26:11 -0400
Received-From-MTA: dns; Christine (64.230.70.248)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; thinkage.ca
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 250 This is hurting you more than it is hurting me.

This bounce message has nothing to do with client mail program.
It's the ISP's mail server.  bellnexxia.net is part of bell/sympatico in
Canada.  I got an almost identical bounce message (below) this morning
after trying to post to misc@ on the weekend.  My mail client is
Thunderbird on OpenBSD.  I suspect the problem is that bellnexxia's smtp
server has managed to get itself on a spam blacklist; in which case;
the 250 msg doesn't really convey that point.  In any case; I'm sending via
a different isp so this msg has a chance of getting through.

The following recipients did not receive this message:

     <misc@openbsd.org>

Reporting-MTA: dns; tomts16.bellnexxia.net
Arrival-Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:06:06 -0500
Received-From-MTA: dns; toip5.srvr.bell.ca (209.226.175.88)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <misc@openbsd.org>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; openbsd.org
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 250 This is hurting you more than it is hurting me.