On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 01:24:44 +0100
Peichaer Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Richard Daemon schrieb:
> > On Feb 1, 2008 5:14 PM, badeguruji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> From Sun's own mouth:
> >>
> >> ..."Solaris 10 OS, the most secure OS worldwide holding 176
> >> records"...
> >>
> >> is that so?
> >>
> >> ________________________________
> >> ~~aapka kalyan ho~~
> >>

> > Doesn't MS say the same thing for Vista?
> >

> compare and realize the difference
>
> Solaris Alerts on Sun's Security Blog (mind the sheer number of
> alerts for 2008)
>       http://blogs.sun.com/security/category/alerts
>
> OpenBSD's Security Infos (every release counts for a 6 months period)
>       http://www.openbsd.org/security.html#42

Wait... compare what can really be compared:

http://blogs.sun.com/security/category/alerts shows 4 types of things:

- OS alerts
- System DOS/DDOS vulnerabilities
- Third party software vulnerabilities (WHO ARE IN THE BASE SYSTEM,
say, sendmail for example)
- Third party DOS/DDOS (WHO ARE IN THE BASE SYSTEM, say, sendmail for
example)

http://www.openbsd.org/security.html#42 shows 3 types of things:

- OS alerts
- Third party software vulnerabilities (Including stuff like firefox,
etc...)
- Third party DOS/DDOS (Including stuff like firefox, etc...)

In openbsd world, DOS vulnerabilities are considered are reliability
issues... So, for a good comparison, remove from sun's page all DOS
vulnerabilities (or compare with obsd DOS vulnerabilities) and third
party software (say, firefox, etc...)

If you are looking for the system DOS/DDOS vulnerabilities of openbsd,
it's here: http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html

The fact is, you can't say third party softwares are the system so...
 - Remove third party software vulns, DOS/DDOS vulns for both OS
 - Add openbsd DOS to it's vulns (or remove solaris DOS vulns)

Now, compare...

Now, does that comparison really means anything ? I don't think so,
for it to eventually mean anything, you'd have to perform a complete
audit on both openbsd and sun's code, compare the number of relevant
vulnerability report for both systems, check if sun has like openbsd a
pro-active approach of security, comapre the number of users...

Good luck in your quest to answer an unanswerable question...

Pierre Ancelot.