On Feb 10, 2008 4:55 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've go an AMD32 bit machine (dmesg at the bottom of the mail).
> Compiled it using "javac" and ran it using "java".
> It runs OK, but when I viewed it using "od -x helloWorld.class | less"
> the first 8 bytes have been inverted, reminds me of the NUXI problem,
> see below:
> 0000000     feca    beba    0000    3100    1d00    000a    0006    090f

To quote SUSv3's specification for od's -x option:
     The byte order used when interpreting numeric values is
implementation-defined,
     but shall correspond to the order in which a constant of the
corresponding type is
     stored in memory on the system.

So, on AMD64, it's little-endian and the output you report is correct.
 If you want the hex values to be reported individually in the byte
order of the file, use "od -t xC".

> Any ideas about why this is happening and how I could fix it?

Step 1: learn to question your assumptions...

Philip Guenther