Chris Jones writes:
 > A while back I attempted to setup a route-based VPN tunnel between a
 > Fortigate firewall and an OpenBSD firewall with no success. I now have
 > the need to get this to work and wondering if someone on the list can
 > shed some light on the configuration. The end goal is to have a gif(4)
 > interface run over IPSec so that I can use a dynamic routing protocol to
 > route traffic to remote VPN networks.

As far as a OpenBSD is concerned when it talks to a
FortiGate/Netscreen both are using tunnel mode IPsec.  The difference
is that FortiGate/Netscreen implement it in such away that a virtual
interface is created so that you can route over it.

To do the equivalent under OpenBSD you'd either :-

  * implement an equivalent kind of IPsec network device in the
    OpenBSD kernel (enc0 is starting point) and modify the IKE daemon
    to know about it.

  * Modify the IKE daemon so that when it negotiates tunnel mode then
    on the OpenBSD side it add transport mode IPsec SAs and creates or
    binds to a gif device.

If you are wondering why FortiGate/Netscreen do things the way they do
then it comes down to ease of configuration.  For years under Cisco
IOS the way to do what you want a combination of transport mode IPsec
and GRE interface.  Not particularly difficult to setup but still more
complicated that it needed to be if all you want is a VPN that you can
route over.  So Cisco IOS now supports an IPsec interface so that you
can forget about transport mode and GRE (unless your talking to
*BSD/Linux) and just define your tunnel mode IPsec and you can get an
interface to route over.