From: Matthew Weigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: OpenBSD <misc@openbsd.org>
Subject: Re: Multi-Threaded SSH/SCP made by university of Puttsburgh
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 01:25:15 -0600
Mailer: Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 (Windows/20071031)

Geoff Steckel wrote:

> I'm sure you're extremely bright and can do it.

It's not about me.  If the OpenBSD developers *can't*, they should just drop
any efforts to refine the big SMP lock, any effort to provide kernel threads,
any effort to make libc reentrant.

And if they do that, then a) threads will have zero performance value, but b)
splitting work across threads will have minimal performance value too.

To put it another way, if they can deal with it in the kernel, if they can
deal with the vastly wider array of security problems that can crop up in
device drivers... they can handle multi-threaded application code.