Dear list,

I have a firewall and an ipsec.conf with 42 ike esp connections:

ike esp from 192.168.100.0/24 to 192.168.129.0/24 peer my.firewall \
main auth hmac-sha1 enc 3des group modp1024 \
quick auth hmac-sha1 enc 3des group modp1024 \
psk "mekmitasdigoat" tag "yet.another.connection"

ISAkmpd is started with the "-K -T". I am talking to lots of
Watchguard Fireboxes by the way. All connections are established and
traffic flows over enc0, all seems good. However, when I try to reload
ipsec.conf due to a rule change, either isakmpd dies with nothing in
the logs whatsoever and/or my /var/log/daemon is filling up with
messages like these:

Feb 25 14:00:41 evo-access isakmpd[27974]: attribute_unacceptable:
AUTHENTICATION_METHOD: got PRE_SHARED, expected RSA_SIG
Feb 25 14:00:41 evo-access isakmpd[27974]: message_negotiate_sa: no
compatible proposal found
Feb 25 14:00:41 evo-access isakmpd[27974]: dropped message from
some.ipsec.peer port 500 due to notification type NO_PROPOSAL_
CHOSEN

I would like to be using something other than shared keys but the
Watchguard boxes only support fancy things like that through a
"Watchguard System Manager" which I'd like to avoid. So for the moment
I am stuck with preshared keys.

If I do "ipsecctl -F" and do a kill and restart of isakmpd the
connections seem to be established succesfully again. Am I missing
something obvious in reloading/adding connections to ipsec.conf ? Is a
simple ipsecctl -f /etc/ipsec.conf sufficient when adding a rule or do
I need to give isakmpd a SIGHUP?

Thanks in advance,

--
Michiel van der Kraats