...was rather unspectacular: Hardware failiure.

The system's name was "base", originally installed with
OpenBSD 2.3 on Jun 12, 1998:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  5 Jun 12  1998 etc/myname

It ran the OpenBSD 2.3 kernel and most of the userland until
it stopped responding about three weeks ago and couldn't be
resurrected.

Small hardware problems had happened before, as with most
systems that have been running uninterrupted for nearly 10
years, but this time I decided against getting it up again:
Running modern software had gotten a real chore (never managed
to backport OpenSSH, for example, so it still had the last
version of the old ssh.com daemon (1.2.32?).
(Well, that, and the 2.3 GENERIC kernel reliably shot down
the VMWare session I tried to get it running in.)

Good old internet software like sendmail or bind never were
a problem though, even in their most recent versions (which may
or may not be a compliment, depending on your point of view).

To my knowlege, the system never was hacked - despite running
software like qpop 2.53 or really, really old versions of
apache and php. (I sometimes found core files, but I guess
the system was just too obscure to be a valid target for
any type of automated attack.)

base had lots of old stuff still lying around, like an emergency
netboot environment for the sun3/160 that it had replaced as main
server for infra.de back at the time, an Amanda client for my
old employer's network backup system that's long gone, or the
configuration for half a dozen UUCP feeds which have lost
their peers ages ago.

Gone are the days when 32MB RAM was a lot, a stripped down OpenBSD
kernel had a whopping 1MB, and a handful of blacklists got rid
of almost all of the spam.

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root      wheel    1056157 Jul 31  2002 /bsd

Alex.