On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:05:51AM -0000, ?lfar M. E. Johnson sez:
> I installed tcl-8.4 and tk-8.4 which are required when installing git.  My
> question is how to get the mann directory to display in man.  I have tried
> organising tcltk in /etc/man.conf in several different ways.  Here is how I
> have it organized now.
>

> # tcltk manpages
>
> _whatdb         /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4/man/whatis.db
>
> _whatdb         /usr/local/lib/tk8.4/man/whatis.db
>
> _subdir {cat,man}{1,3}
>
> _build .n /usr/bin/nroff -man %s
>
> _default        /usr/local/lib/{tcl8.4,tk8.4}/man/
>
> tcltk           /usr/local/lib/{tcl8.4,tk8.4}/man/
>
> 1               /usr/local/lib/{tcl8.4,tk8.4}/man1
>
> 3               /usr/local/lib/{tcl8.4,tk8.4}/man3
>
> n               /usr/local/lib/{tcl8.4,tk8.4}/mann
>

> Example I can  man -s tcltk 3 Tcl_RecordAndEval and the man page comes up
> normal.  I can also  man Tk_GetVisual or man -s tcltk 3 Tk_GetVisual and the
> manpages come up normal.  Using man -k tk and here I will show some of the
> display from that command:
>
>  tk_messageBox (n) - pops up a message window and waits for user response.
>
> tk_optionMenu (n) - Create an option menubutton and its menu
>
> tk_popup (n) - Post a popup menu
>
> tk_setPalette, tk_bisque (n) - Modify the Tk color palette
>
> tkerror (n) - Command invoked to process background errors
>
> tkvars (n) - Variables used or set by Tk
>
> tkwait (n) - Wait for variable to change or window to be destroyed
>

> I would like to be able to display man pages for the (n) section.  ie. man -s
> tcltk n tkwait or man n tkwait
>
> As is now when I try to display commands in the (n) section I get results like
> this:  -bash-3.2$ man n tkwait
>
> man: no entry for tkwait in section n of the manual.
>
> man -s tcltk n tkwait
>
> man: no entry for n in section tcltk of the manual.
>
> man: no entry for tkwait in section tcltk of the manual.
>

> Please enlighten me.
>
> ________________________________
> Zlfar M. E. Johnson
> Sk}rr
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 569 5100
> http://www.skyrr.is
> <http://www.skyrr.is>
> http://www.skyrr.is/legal/disclaimer.txt
> <http://www.skyrr.is/legal/disclaimer.txt>

I tried a bunch of crap in other sections of man.conf & never could
get the n stuff to display. So, I added right at the very end of

 # Specific section/directory combinations.

n               /usr/local/lib/{tcl8.4,tk8.4}/{man/mann/}

When you want to read a man page from that section, just remember to
plug in the 'n' before the man page. Like

man n tk_textCopy

There's probably a better way to do it, but I don't know how. At least
this works.

- --

Denny White

All messages scanned by ClamAssassin
http://jameslick.com/clamassassin/
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFH6oiQy0Ty5RZE55oRAqxsAJwPpZzm9rkBaddCDh/SeuZ6JQpeEwCfeExW
Yr6T6e+PoAGM7DxdtrYbQ0w=
=7bD6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----